Overexposure to ultraviolet light can lead to short-term issues like UV keratitis and long-term issues like cataracts and retinal damage. In this article, eye care specialists take a look at profiles of patients who may need extra UV eye protection.
- Construction Workers: Construction workers and other people who work outdoors are exposed to 10-20% more UV light than the average indoor worker. Even if a worker wears a hat outside, the brim can only block their eyes from overhead UV light and not the indirect UV radiation that is reflected on low-level surfaces.
- Outdoor Enthusiasts: Outdoor enthusiasts such as cyclists and hikers spend a lot of time in the sun, thus requiring some protection from UV. Boaters and beachgoers should also equip themselves with eye protection because dry sand can reflect more than 15% of UV light while sea foam can reflect up to 30%.
- Children: Some kids tend to spend more time outdoors than adults. Long-term effects of sun damage are cumulative. The longer children are not protected from the harmful rays of the sun, the more likely they will suffer damage to their eyes in their older years.
- Contact Lens Wearers: Some patients who wear contact lenses do not bother to wear sunglasses because their contacts block UVA/UVB. While there are lenses that protect from UV radiation, they do not cover everything. The skin of the lids and brow bone are left vulnerable and should be covered with a pair of sunglasses.
- Health-Conscious Individuals: If you are conscious about your health, you want to minimize your day-to-day interaction with environmental hazards. Aside from eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly, safeguarding your eyes from UV radiation should be on your priority list, especially if you have a family history of age-related macular degeneration.
Lumen Optometric is a premier eye care center specializing in comprehensive eye exams, myopia management, scleral lenses, neurolenses and more. To learn more about our products and services, call (626) 921-0199. You may also fill out our online form to book an appointment.