At Lumen Optometric, we’re taking every means necessary to ensure the health of our patients, our community, and our families. Below is a short summary of our COVID-19 protocols:
● We are a specialty-lens practice with a focus on education, quality materials, and patient experience. Our exams slots have always allowed for 45-50 mins for each patient, with 15 mins of buffer time between patients. Our historic scheduling practices align well with COVID prevention measures.
● Our doors will be locked, but we’re open! Just knock or call us at (626) 921-0199
Negative Pressure Exam Rooms (Updated 7.27.2020)
● Our exam rooms are set up as negative pressure rooms, meaning that the air in those rooms is being pulled up and out into the environment. The goal is to ensure that patients aren’t being brought into rooms with stagnant, stale air. To create your own negative pressure system for your home or office, follow the guide Dr. To created here and be sure to download the template for this specific Honeywell HEPA filter.
● Patients can conveniently book an appointment online or through email/call/texts. We require all of our patients to fill out their forms ahead of time and submit them through our secure online portal. Any other required documents can be uploaded to our portal or emailed/texted to us. This helps minimize touchpoints and allows the patient’s examination to begin immediately upon arrival.
● Curbside pickup will be available for glasses.
● All contact lenses will be shipped directly to patients’ homes/workplaces.
● We will only take patients by appointment-only to ensure that we are prepared for each anticipated patient. When a patient arrives, before they are allowed entry, we will perform a wellness screening, touchless temperature check, and provide hand sanitizer. We will require that masks be worn throughout their entire visit.
● Our office layout has been restructured to maximize social distancing of our staff and patients. Your Lumen experience will span across four different rooms, with no more than 20 minutes spent in each room to allow for maximal air-cleaning and disinfection.
● Patients will only be allowed to bring a guest if they are (1) a minor or (2) need physical or translation assistance.
Disinfection/Cleaning – Updated 9.20.20
● When you arrive, you can be sure that our office has been thoroughly disinfected.
● We utilize a combination of chemical disinfection, UVC disinfection, ozone disinfection, and HEPA-filtration. This will not only take care of our surfaces, but will take care of anything lingering in the air.
● For every square foot of patient care areas, we have THREE times the amount of HEPA filtration.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – Updated 8.2.20
● Our staff will be wearing masks throughout the day in addition to face shields, depending on the required task.
● Staff meetings performed at opening and mid-day will consist of wellness screenings, temperature checks, and a review of our patient list of needs/requirements to make sure we’re operating in a safe, efficient manner.
● Acrylic barriers will be in place in areas where face-to-face communication is unavoidable.
● Our staff will be taking daily inhaled doses of Iota-carrageenan, which is a polymer derived from red seaweed that has demonstrated inhibitory activity against coronaviruses and other respiratory viruses. To read more, click here and follow the links within for additional research.
If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to contact us and let us know! We take these matters seriously and we are confident our social distancing, PPE, and disinfection protocols will be the best protection for keeping you healthy.
Thank you in advance for your patience and compliance with our modified COVID protocol. Stay healthy!
-Dr. Eric To
*Last updated 7.27.2020